Self-Employment Grant

The process to claim the self-employment grant will apparently open on 13th May this is something you will have to do yourself as the process cannot be done by an agent. We can however assist if you need any information although we don’t know at the moment exactly what questions will be asked. Follow the link at the foot of this document to confirm your eligibility based on your self- assessment record and set your contact details to enable you to make a claim.

You will need your UTR which is the 10 digit reference on your Tax Return and your national insurance number. You will also need your own personal government gateway ID and password. If you have not already set this up you will be able to do so when you check your eligibility to do this you will need your passport and mobile phone with you. Make sure you note down the ID and password as you will need them when making a claim.

Who can claim

You can claim if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and:

  • you traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your Self- Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that year
  • you traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020
  • you intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021
  • you carry on a trade which has been adversely affected by coronavirus

Your business could be adversely affected by coronavirus if, for example:

  • you’re unable to work because you:
    • are shielding
    • are self-isolating
    • are on sick leave because of coronavirus
    • have caring responsibilities because of coronavirus
  • you’ve had to scale down or temporarily stop trading because:
    • your supply chain has been interrupted
    • you have fewer or no customers or clients
    • your staff are unable to come in to work

After you’ve claimed

Once you’ve submitted your claim, you will be told straight away if your grant is approved. The Government will pay the grant into your bank account within 6 working days.

You must keep a copy of all records in line with normal self-employment record keeping requirements, including:

  • the amount claimed
  • the claim reference number for your records
  • evidence that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus

You will need to report the grant:

  • on your Self- Assessment tax return
  • as self-employed income for any Universal Credit claims
  • as self-employed income and that you’re working 16 hours a week for any tax credits claims